HMO Rolls Grew Most in Pacific, Mid-Atlantic Areas
# # #
Manasquan, N.J. -- Slightly more than one in six HMOs nationwide (62.39 percent) posted membership growth between Jan. 1, 2000, and Jan. 1, 2001, according to an exclusive study by the Managed Care Information Center.
Regionally, the largest gain was in the Mid-Atlantic area (New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania), where 71.43 percent of the areas HMOs had membership growth.
The Pacific region (Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington) was second, with 63 percent of HMOs reporting gains.
The region with the fewest HMOs reporting enrollment gains, 57 percent, was New England, where the greatest percentage of HMOs, 43 percent, reported membership decline.
The states with the most HMOs reporting membership growth were New Jersey and New York, in the Mid-Atlantic region. Six HMOs in each state, a total of 57 percent of HMOs in the region, increased their memberships.
Gainers and Losers
Among HMOs, major gainers included:
* Superior Health Plan of Texas, Austin, up 647 percent, from 3,469 to 25,917;
* Educators Health Care, Murray, Utah, up 522 percent, from 21,974 to 136,709;
* Cascade East Health Plans East Inc., Hermiston, Ore., up 455.56 percent, from 450 to 2,500;
* Select Health of South Carolina, North Charleston, up 178.43 percent, from 7,344 to 20,448;
* PacifiCare of Texas Inc., San Antonio, up 166 percent, from 176,702 to 470,517;
* Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Hampshire, Manchester, up 134 percent, from 42,931 to 100,606;
* Humana Health Care Plans of Arizona, Phoenix, up 127.87 percent, from 19,359 to 44,113; and
* Vista Health Plan Inc., Austin, Texas, up 102 percent, from 12,567 to 25,407.
Major losers included:
* Health Options Connect Inc., Jacksonville, Fla., down 94.71 percent, from 59,417 to 3,143;
* HealthFirst HMO Inc., Tyler, Texas, down 92 percent, from 16,517 to 1,319;
* WellCare Health Plans of Texas, McAllen, Texas, down 80.78 percent, from 5,365 to 1,031;
* Coventry Health Care Inc., Wilmington, Del., down 73.63 percent, from 114,468 to 30,180;
* Health Net Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, down 71.92 percent, from 30,273 to 8,500; and
* Coordinated Health Partners Inc., Providence, R.I., down 69.97 percent, from 119,027 to 35,746.
Address: The Managed Care Information Center, 1913 Atlantic Ave., Suite F4, Manasquan, NJ 08736; (888) 843-6242, www.themcic.com.
For more information contact The Managed Care Information Center, 1913 Atlantic Avenue, Suite F4, Manasquan, NJ, 08736, toll-free telephone 1-888-THE-MCIC (1-888-843-6242), fax 1-888-FAX-MCIC (1-888-329-6242), e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or online at http://www.themcic.com.
Back to List of Releases